Re: Comments on proposed new SC 2.5.3

On 14/04/2016 15:53, Detlev Fischer wrote:
> Just taking a minute to think about 2.5.3
>
> Echoing Patrick's advice that we should not focus on touch if the
> issue is more general, it seems fairly obvious that  "2.5.3 Touch Up
> Activation" or "2.5.3 Single Taps and Long Presses Revocable"
> describes an issue that is equally valid for mouse pointer
> activation.
>
> Which suggests we might draw the boundary wider and rename it to
> something like SC 2.5.3 "Support undo"
>
> Which contradicts the renaming I have suggested in the last telco.
> "Touch Up Activation" sounds easier (which is a benefit), but
> narrowing the issue to touch seems inappropriate for a SC - it would
> be OK on the level of Technique.
>
> So itf we try to tackle the general issue of supporting undo by not
> triggering things on touchstart / mouseDown, the question remains
> wehther it is really inside scope for WCAG.

Going back even further, rather than "undo" was the original issue,
fundamentally, about "Avoid that users accidentally activate controls
and/or have a way to 'bail out'"? (which won't win any terseness awards,
but thought I'd throw the lot in there).

So the normative part can, in a tech agnostic way, hopefully convey this
idea (which is just as applicable to keyboard, switch, mouse, touch,
voice activation, etc users) that an app/site should be built in a way
that a user doesn't accidentally click on things they didn't intend to,
and that if they already started a click activation (e.g.  touch down,
mouse button already pressed down, etc) they either have a way of
cancelling this activation (by moving their finger or mouse while still
pressed outside/sufficiently away from the control before lifting their
finger/releasing the mouse button), OR by providing some way of
undo-ing/reverting the action - IF the action is "of consequence" (e.g.
if it was a touchscreen piano, or the fire button of a real-time [rather
than turn based/tactical] space shooter, it's no big deal if it
activated by accident, and an undo would not be practical/possible).

Then, in techniques, it can go further into tech specific "bind event
listeners to both touchend / the "up" AND the generic "click" /
activation; for mouse, don't listen to "mouseover" but "mouseup" AND
"click"; etc.