Re: Reworking Moble TF Doc to turn into WACG Extension

On 31/08/2015 02:18, Jonathan Avila wrote:
>> - on a more general level, I questioned why there should be an SC
>> relating to target size for *touch*, but that there's no equivalent
>> SC for mouse or stylus interaction?
> [ja] My guess is that touch target size would need to be larger than
> a mouse pointer touch area -- so the touch target would catch those
> as well.

Sure, but this SC would be relegated into the "touch/mobile" extension
to WCAG, which somebody designing a desktop/mouse site may look into
(again, going back to the fundamental problem of WCAG extension, but I
digress).

>> Too small a target size can be just as problematic for users with
>> tremors, mobility impairments, reduced dexterity, etc.
> [ja] That's exactly who this SC is aimed at.  This SC is not
> specifically aimed at screen reader users or low vision users but
> people with motor impairments.

Apologies, when talking about tremors, mobility impairments, etc I meant
to add "using a desktop/mouse or similar".

>> I know it's not the remit of the TF, but I'd argue that this is
>> exactly the sort of thing that would benefit from being a
>> generalised SC applicable to all manner of pointing interaction
>> (mouse, pen, touch, etc). Or is the expectation that there will be
>> a separate TF for "pen and stylus TF", "mouse interaction TF",
>> etc?
> [jda] If you use a pen or stylus it's also touch -- so it's already
> covered  This doesn't mean touch with a finger -- it means touch with
> something -- a finger, a stylus, a prosthetic, a pen, etc..

Some devices treat pens essentially differently from touch (see for
instance a Surface, and the fact that in Pointer Events for instance
touch and pen are distinct input types). But is is dependent on
hardware...Perhaps this needs clarifying.