Von: Patrick H. Lauke
Gesendet: Montag, 27. Juli 2015 21:50
An: public-mobile-a11y-tf@w3.org
Betreff: Re: Rough draft of some success criteria for a extension guideline "Touch accessible"

Apologies for joining the party late and asking what is probably an
obvious question, but just wanted to point out that "touch" is not
strictly a "mobile" issue. There are already many devices (2-in-1
tablet/laptops, desktop machines with external touch-capable monitors,
etc) beyond the mobile space which include touch interaction. So, a
fundamental question for me would be: would these extensions be
signposted/labelled as being "mobile-specific", or will they be added to
WCAG 2 core in a more general, device-agnostic manner?

Further, though I welcome the addition of SCs relating to touch target
size and clearance, I'm wondering why we would not also have the
equivalent for mouse or stylus interfaces...again, in short, why make it
touch-specific, when in general the SCs should apply to all "pointers"
("mouse cursor, pen, touch (including multi-touch), or other pointing
input device", to borrow some wording from the Pointer Events spec
http://www.w3.org/TR/pointerevents/)?

Perhaps more of an aside (apologies if this is the wrong forum to raise
this): if I understand the idea of extensions correctly, the core WCAG 2
SCs will remain unaffected. So does this mean that the keyboard-specific
SCs will still be in effect, even though some devices may simply not
have a keyboard? This feels like an imbalance...I'd rather see the core
language made more input-agnostic in core WCAG 2 (e.g. replacing
explicit mentions of "Keyboard" with something more open-ended, like
"non-pointer interface" (see some of my musings from a while ago
https://twitter.com/patrick_h_lauke/status/602414144583761920)