Fwd: Re: let's bump to 10mm from 9mm

Apologies, forwarded to the wrong list

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: let's bump to 10mm from 9mm
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 17:00:38 +0000
From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
To: ALAN SMITH <alands289@gmail.com>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

(Copying back the list, as Alan sent it just to me)

On 18/12/2015 16:40, ALAN SMITH wrote:
> Can't we stick with a physical value as a guideline and let developers
> use their skills to meet it?

Not if there is no way for developers to actually do that, as
extensively described already in this thread, no. Devs can't detect the
physical size of the device/screen, so they have no point of reference
to decide what values they must use in their CSS to achieve a particular
physical size.

> Correct me but do we always tell developers how to specifically and
> technically meet every other guideline? I thought part of WCAG was to be
> technology independent.

We don't ask developers that they must do something that they have no
way to actually do, no.