Re: SC's or techniques on Force and duration

Hi Patrick

We've been looking at a proposed new Success Criteria:
*2.5.3 Single Taps and Long Presses Revocable:* Interface elements that
require a single tap or a long press as input will only trigger the
corresponding event when the finger is lifted inside that element. (Level A)

You commented:
*Patrick:* I like the concept, but the wording that follows (requiring that
things only trigger if touch point is still wihin the same element) is
overly specific/limiting in my view. Also, it is partly out of the
developer's control. For instance, in current iOS and Android, touch events
have a magic "auto-capture" behavior: you can start a touch sequence on an
element, move your touch point outside of the element, and release it...it
will still fire touchmove/touchend events (but not click, granted). Pointer
Events include an explicit feature to capture pointers and to emulate the
same behavior as touch events. However, it would be possible to make
taps/long presses revocable by, for instance, prompting the user with a
confirmation dialog as a result of a tap/press (if the action is
significant/destructive in particular). This would still fulfill the
"revocable" requirement, just in a different way to "must be lifted inside
the element". In short: I'd keep the principle of "revocable" actions, but
would not pin down the "the finger (touch point, whatever...keeping it a
bit more agnostic) is lifted inside the element".

A couple of questions

1) Several of us tried touching events on our phones and moving away while
pressing, and they did not fire using the "magic auto capture" you mention.
Is this a special control behaviour that the author calls out voluntarily,
or is it attached only to certain iOS/android touch events.

2) The primary problem we are trying to address is allowing people to
change their mind after they select something and before they remove their
finger but we understand your desire to make it more generic. Perhaps we
can keep our wording and add and OR statement.

How is this?
*2.5.3 Single Taps and Long Presses Revocable:* Interface elements that
require a single tap or a long press as input will only trigger the
corresponding event when the finger is lifted inside that element unless
their is a means of confirming before triggering the event, or the event
can be reversed (Level A)

Note

Cheers,

David MacDonald