Re: Rough draft of some success criteria for a extension guideline "Touch accessible"

>>Jonathan: Would that include hardware buttons?  For example, would
touching the hardware back button count here?  We’d also need some sort of
clause to say when touch is supported by the platform.

 Buttons may make sense to add. I'm not sure. Would like to get feedback on
that.

>What if something was keyboard accessible and speech accessible?
We already have a requirement for keyboard use. I don't think that should
go away.

Yes we would need to add the disclaimer line about this being for touch
interfaces.

>Patrick says: As it's not possible to recognise gestures when VoiceOver is
enabled, as VO intercepts gestures for its own purposes (similar to how
desktop AT intercept key presses) unless the user explicitly uses a
pass-through gesture, does this imply that interfaces need to be made to
also work just with an activation/double-tap ? i.e., does double-tap count
in this context as a "gesture"? If not, it's not technically possible for
web pages to force pass-through (no equivalent to role="application" for
desktop/keyboard handling)...

David: VO uses gestures for its own purposes and then adds gestures to
substitute for those it replaced i.e., VO 3 finger swipe= 1 finger swipe.
I'm suggesting that everything that can be accomplished with VO off with
gestures can be accomplished with VO on.

>Jonathan: In theory I think this would benefit people from prosthetics
too.  For example, many apps support zoom by double tapping without
requiring a pinch.

David: It would be great to operate everything through taps... even
creating a Morse code type of thing, where all gestures could be done with
taps for those who can't swipe, but it would require a lot more
functionality than is currently available.  I think we should park it, and
perhaps provide it as a best practise technique under this Success Criteria.

How about this amendment?

2.5.1 Touch: For pages and applications that support touch, all
functionality of the content is operable through touch gestures with and
without system assistive technology activated. (Level A)

Cheers,

David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*

Tel:  613.235.4902