RE: ACTION-18: Look at mwbp re: text resize (Mobile Accessibility Task Force)

Hi Jon,

Agreed. And you're right that I've never seen a way to control the display of a hybrid app other than the controls surfaced by the app itself (e.g. in BBC News app for Android...open an article and then press Menu key and Increase/Decrease font will be available - though the setting won't be used on the main page).

Back to text size for a minute: Everyone probably knows this, but it may be worth saying...there are several types of zoom:

1. OS (or platform) level
- All web pages (within their containing browser viewports) will be zoomable by OS-level zoom features, even if they try to block zoom.
- But this "dumb" zoom requires panning left-right as well as up-down.

2. Browser zoom (e.g. pinch zoom):
- "dumb" zoom requires panning left-right as well as up-down.
- As the BBC guidelines (http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/futuremedia/accessibility/mobile/design/zoom) state, it is possible for content to block zooming (here's a zoom blocking demo: http://davidwalsh.name/demo/mobile-viewport.php)
- I tested this in the Android stock browser, Chrome and Firefox for Android and it blocked zoom in all.
- INTERESTINGLY, the Android stock browser and Chrome have an "Accessibility>Force zoom" option...this worked in Chrome but it did NOT work for the stock browser.

3. Browser default text size adjustment:
- This is the best way to enable zoom because it allows reflow so the user only has to pan up-down, not left-right (though this works better for content that uses width for structure (e.g. tables, etc.)
- All three browser let the user set the default text size.

4. OS default text size adjustment:
- Same as (3) except at the OS level so the same size would be used for all apps
- I haven't really tested the support for this (except for the Android stock browser which does not support this).

Cheers,
Jan

(MR) JAN RICHARDS
PROJECT MANAGER