FW: Piek Vossen abstract

-----Original Message-----
From: Vossen, P. [mailto:p.vossen@let.vu.nl]
Sent: 01 October 2010 11:50
To: Richard Ishida
Subject: Re: Urgent: About your talk at the MultilingualWeb workshop, Madrid

Dear Richard,

It is not so easy to come up with a talk that meets all these requirements.
Since it is 15 minutes and non-technical, I will give a very global
presentation on the W3C position of the KYOTO system as a standardization of
meaning across languages for textual knowledge. So here is a title and short
summary (hopefully not too technical):

Title:
KYOTO: a platform for anchoring textual meaning across languages

model the meaning of their terms and to use this model to mine facts from
the textual sources in their community.
Since the KYOTO project uses a generic architecture that can be used for any
set of languages, the modeling of terms and the extraction of facts from
text is interoperable across these languages as well. The core semantic
technology of KYOTO thus enables social groups with a common interest to
access their knowledge using formal systems, thus connecting Semantic Web2.0
communities to Semantic Web3 technology, but it also allows to create
communities across language borders. Likewise, knowledge that is implicit in
these social communities can be exchanged across different language
communities, thus creating a more global understanding and exchange.

best wishes

Piek

On Sep 29, 2010, at 10:38 PM, Richard Ishida wrote:

> Dear Piek,
>
> Thank you for your proposal to speak at the MultilingualWeb workshop in
Madrid in October.  We have a strong program and we are looking forward to
meeting you in Madrid.

> We have scheduled your talk in the Machines session on on 27 October.  It
will last 15 minutes. You can see an in-progress version of the program at
http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/madrid/program (please keep
this confidential for now).

> URGENT:
> In order for us to publish the program on Monday we need a title for your
talk.  Could you please send it to me today or tomorrow as a high priority.
Thank you.

> PLEASE ALSO SEND THE FOLLOWING
> A couple of sentences summarising your talk (for the abstracts)
>
> Please also let us know whether you need to project from your own
computer. Otherwise we would prefer to load talks onto the workshop
projector in advance of your talk, to speed up the transitions from one talk
to another.  Please be prepared to test your projection at the beginning of
the break preceding your session, or before.

> SPEAKER GUIDELINES
> Because we have so many speakers, timing will be strict during the
workshop, so please ensure that your talk fits within the allocated time.
There will be some time for questions at the end of the session, and more
time at the end of the workshop.

> Talks should ideally identify the following with relation to your topic:
> 	1. existing best practices and/or standards that are relevant
> 	2. gaps that are not covered by best practices and/or standards
> 	3. new standards and best practices that are currently in
development

> Speakers are asked to focus on describing practical ways in which the
topic of their talk enables people to meet the challenges of the
multilingual Web, rather than to focus on technical details. Given the
diversity of topics at the workshop, speakers should also pitch their talk
at a level that will be understood by attendees who are unfamiliar with the
topic area.

> If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.
>
> Best wishes,
> Richard.
>
> ============
> Richard Ishida