Re: [xml-dev] What Is XML, or MicroXML?

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 10:04:26 -0700, Uche Ogbuji <uche@ogbuji.net> wrote:

>MicroXML is pretty much just back to minding the XML 1.0 knitting, but with
>even fewer temptations for the hammer-wielding colonizers (e.g. we
>considered just ignoring XML Namespaces structured and decided in the end
>it was better to make it impossible to even write anything that looks like
>XML Namespaces). That means that we'll never have the sorts of participants
>who are so adept at pushing a technology up the Gartner Hype Cycle, and
>that's quite fine by me.

And by me.  ;-)

We're currently completing design of an application ML
that uses MicroXML, uDoc [1].  uDoc is specifically
intended for document authoring by technical writers,
no more, no less.  Much of the inspiration for creating
it came from this list, and the draft spec [2] contains
numerous quotes from Uche, Simon, John Cowan, and many
others.

uDoc is still a moving target, but the draft spec has
gotten good enough to give those interested an idea of
what you can do when you toss the whole idea of schema
constraints to provide maximum flexibility to users,
while still providing easy interoperability [3] [4].

Several list members have commented to us on the draft.
I especially want to acknowledge John Cowan's many
contributions, which have improved the design in several
ways, and have resulted in the creation of a utility for
converting between the full-tagged and minimized forms
of uDoc.

Discussions here may get intense, but I've always found
them very worthwhile.  ;-)

[1] http://udoc2go.com
[2] uDoc source: http://udoc2go.com/download/ud_spec_src.zip
[3] Word version: http://udoc2go.com/download/ud_spec_doc.zip
[4] OmniHelp version: http://udoc2go.com/download/ud_spec_omnihelp.zip
    To read in your browser, unzip and double-click on: _ud_spec.htm

  <jeremy@omsys.com>    http://mif2go.com/