Re: A really micro schema language

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 12:37:41 -0500
To: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Cc: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>, public-microxml@w3.org
James Clark scripsit:

> Though it pains me to say it, I suspect the most appropriate MicroXPath is
> CSS3 selectors.

The trouble there AFAICT is that selectors allow you to refer to element
F contained in element E (with the path "E F"), but there is no way
to talk about an element E which contains an F.  In XPath terms, the
only predicates are attribute-based predicates.  Also the CSS3 design
suffers from the second-system effect: it was just enhanced without being
redesigned, and would be awkwardly big to just adopt.  MicroXML demands
something with more conceptual integrity, I think.

--
John Cowan  cowan@ccil.org  http://ccil.org/~cowan
In the sciences, we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side