RE: What to do about newlines in attribute values?

I appreciate your (Uche) frustration ... but why I think this is relevant is this.

If a (special subset of) MicroXML document *is a* HTML5 document then things like tab and newlines in attributes matter,
So do things like <br>  vs <br/> vs < br><br/>

But if MicroXML documents are not actually HTML5 but can  be serialized as such then such things matter less so as we can defer the cleanup to the serialization process.

I think it matters quite a bit if we say "A special case of MicroXML documents can be literally used as HTML5" vs "MicroXML can be used as an input format for generating HTML5".

My vote would be the later.  And to drop any goals that claim MicroXML "is a" HTML5 document and move it to "MicroXML is a format which can be easily transformed to HTML5"
Then I would be much happier with the differences as they no longer really matter.
But if we claim that you can Author MicroXML and use it as HTML5 ... then the subtlties matter a lot and we may need to be very verbose about "don't do this and that or it doesn't work in browser XYZ" ...

David Lee
Lead Engineer
MarkLogic Corporation
dlee@marklogic.com