Re: What to do about newlines in attribute values?

On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 08:45 -0600, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 12:48 AM, John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org> wrote:
>
> > James Clark scripsit:

> > > c) allow newlines but don't normalize them: most useful behaviour but
> > > incompatible with XML
> >
> > And therefore a non-starter.
> >

> I'm not so sure about this.  As I have understood it the backward
> compatibility goal is satisfied as long as every MicroXML document is a
> well-formed XML document.

You have to go beyond that and ask why that's a goal.

If you expect to replace tool chains altogether then the compatibility
is for comfort and familiarity only.

If you want to use XML tools with µXML, the compatibility has to be all
the way through o the data model.

Not all environments let users plug in a different parser.

Liam

Co-author, 5th edition of "Beginning XML", Wrox, July 2012