Re: Media types

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Rushforth, Peter <
Peter.Rushforth@nrcan-rncan.gc.ca> wrote:

> **
> Info
>
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-discuss/current/msg07108.html
>
> Might be wise to assume that stacked extensions will not get (easily)
> approved,

I think it's better to do the right thing and worry later if that does not
work out, rather than make a priori assumptions either way.

> hence microxml
> might want to split from xml and create its own suffix.

-1

> My understanding is that what is achieved by suffixes could also be
> achieved with paramters,
> so if inheritance from XML is desired it might be reasonable to go with
> registering a parameter for application/xml,
> similar to how AtomPub extended Atom. (application/atom+xml ->
> application/atom+xml;type="feed" + application/atom+xml;type="entry"),
> ie application/xml;type="micro"

The atom entry example is apples and oranges.  An Atom entry is a specific
content model.

-1 to application/xml;type="micro"

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net