Re: Error Recovery (was: Re: Should we say anything on security?)

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Mike Sokolov <sokolov@falutin.net> wrote:

> **
> On 09/12/2012 10:45 AM, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
>
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Mike Sokolov <sokolov@falutin.net> wrote:
>
>>  On 09/12/2012 09:49 AM, Uche Ogbuji wrote:

>>> in its parser that include undeclared ISO xml entity handling, and I think
>>> will even fix well-formedness problems a-la tidy.
>>

>>  Err, that is not an XML parser, then, any more than Tidy is, or
>> html5lib, though both can parse XML-like thingies.
>>
>>   Isn't your argument circular?  "No parser implements fixup, because
>> one did, it wouldn't be a parser"
>>

>  Err no.  That's not remotely what I said.  I think I've been pretty
> clear in what I've said, which you quoted above.
>
>  I said "MarkLogic provides fixup capabilities"

This is getting tedious.  No, you said more than that, as can be easily
read above.   In particular, you said:

"...include undeclared ISO xml entity handling, and I think will even fix
well-formedness problems a-la tidy."

> You said "that is not an XML parser, then", which I read as "Anything that
> provides fixup capabilities is (ipso facto) not an XML parser".

"fixup capabilities" is not a precise enough term for me to say anything of
the sort, so you are putting words into my mouth.

If any software continues normally after a well-formedness error, or any
fatal error, then it does not conform to the XML spec, as James so clearly
quoted from the spec, which means by convention that it is not an XML
parser.

And with that I'm leaving off this subthread.  You can refer to the XML
spec itself for further details.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira        http://zepheira.com