Re: 12. Are C1 controls and Unicode non-characters disallowed?

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 9:01 AM, John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org> wrote:

> Uche Ogbuji scripsit:
>
> > That's an RFC SHOULD, which means use Normalization Form C unless you
> > have an absolutely compelling reason not to.
> >
> > I do wonder why not just strengthen it that little bit to a MUST.
>
> There are still environments in which NFD is preferred, and there are
> some encodings which when transformed into Unicode codepoint by codepoint
> do not produce NFC, notably Vietnamese and bibliographic encodings.
>
> IMHO, SHOULD is the correct strength of requirement.

OK.  That is the sort of info that would be nice to have in a footnote of
some sort.

Maybe there will soon emerge a MicroXML equivalent to Tim Bray's Annotated
XML Spec :)

http://www.xml.com/axml/testaxml.htm

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net