Re: 12. Are C1 controls and Unicode non-characters disallowed?

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM, David Lee <David.Lee@marklogic.com> wrote:

> 2) An "off the shelf" XML parses a MicroXML document then all MicroXML
> parsers should also parse that document without failure.   I guess this one
> is self referential.
> What I am getting at is 'what would the user see that is bad if we allowed
> these discouraged characters"
> Its too late now, but I feel it was a mistake for XML to ban valid Unicode
> characters (like control chars) just because there was no practical
> definition of what they meant. ( say FF) ... For XML compatibility we cant
> undo that ... but do we need to go further and ban other unicode codepoints
> that are not explicitly causing parse errors in XML ?  Why ?

I think James has several times restated the reasons why.  In short, it
provides a clarity that is missing in XML ("do not use non-characters").  I
think doing so very much simplifies the language, which is the entire point
of MicroXML.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira        http://zepheira.com