Re: Design goal regarding HTML5

On Thu, 2012-09-06 at 21:17 +0700, James Clark wrote:

> I think my preference would be to try to make bare "href" work: on
> appropriate SVG elements, the serializer would fix it up into xlink:href.

This was one of the use cases I had in mind for "unobtrusive
namespaces".

>  Some investigation would be required to see if that is workable.  I seem
> to remember seeing somewhere that the SVG folks were thinking of changing
> from xlink:href to href (or at least allowing href).

Yes. They never really saw much point in XLink, as it added complexity
to SVG without any benefit to them. Generic link processors for XML turn
out to be less useful than we'd hoped...

Liam

Co-author, 5th edition "Beginning XML", Wrox, July 2012