Re: 11 - whether "--" and % are allowed in comments, is > allowed in a PI

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:22 AM, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-09-06 at 10:12 +0100, David Carlisle wrote:
> > On 06/09/2012 05:33, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> > > The space is only required if you want your Web page to work in
> pre-HTML
> > > 5 mode. A necessity in practice in many (most?) cases.
> >
> > I don't think the space is required by any current browsers is it? (I
> > think it isn't needed unless you need netscape 4 cpmpatibility.
>
> I'm not sure if it was even needed in NS 4 if all you wanted was
> compatible rendering. If you wanted a compatible DOM it's another
> matter.
>
> I'm more concerned with the principle - determine exactly what we mean
> by HTML compatibility and if we agree it's essential then stick to it
> everywhere.

I guess the prevailing mood recently has shifted to no HTML compatibility
that involves introducing warts, i.e. no bare doctype, no syntactic nor
data model exceptions for empty elements, no added comment restrictions,
and SVG elements use simple href attributes.  I'm happy to work back from
this eminently sensible conclusion to some sort of goal, if need be ;)

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira        http://zepheira.com