RE: > in attribute values; decimal character reference

I guess I'm taking a parochial end users view and not looking at how complicated the spec will be.

Having to do something like

<box test="length&gt;1"/>

When what I mean is

<box test="length>1"/>

doesn't make sense to me.

I've seen people contort tests in xslt <xsl: if test="1>$len">..... just so they didn't have to encode the comparison. Admittedly 1>$len is strange looking but not as strange looking as $len&lt;1. I think the contorted test is more readable, but maybe that is just me.

BTW a similar sort of idiom was used in C to make the complier catch mistaken assignments when doing comparisons.

I've only been catching bit and pieces of these threads. I know I really should dig into all if them before dropping comments, but I just don't have the time at the moment.

I very much like the idea of uxml and know I and others could use it. It's just that my looking at bits and pieces of the threads here leads me to think a simple spec' is the primary goal. That's a good goal but I think the happenstance of how people use xml now needs more weight.

I also know that many (maybe most) people learn spec's via operant conditioning rather than just reading the spec'. So taking away things that can be used in xml should at least be weighed against the confusion it will cause people who don't read spec's.

Dan