Re: 8. Are prefixes/namespaces allowed?

On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 16:42 +0100, Andrew Welch wrote:

> Ok - from my skim reading of the link it sounded like 'automatic
> namespaces' were held external the file and were applied during the
> processing... I need to go and read it properly at some point.

My automatic namespaces / unobtrusive namespaces proposal was in the
context primarily of a Web browser; my idea was to make an external file
that would describe existing browser behaviour (rather like the default
user agent CSS stylesheet for HTML); browsers could recognise a link to
the default namespace URI and not bother to download it. Someone wanting
to intermix, say, chemical markup (CML), could use a namespace
definition file that refereced the default HTML one but augmented it,
"when you get to a cml element apply the following default namespace".

It was a major goal (of mine) that the namespace definition files were
in XML but did not themselves use XML namespace syntax, so that they
would be acceptable to people who had already rejected the use of
XML-style namespaces in Web browsers...

Hope that helps.

Liam