Re: The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM, John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org> wrote:

> Brian Kardell scripsit:
>
> > I disagree that this is necessarily a good thing - I think if there
> > is a hope to pull this off it has to involve some "on its own merits"
> > growth/uptake by a community lest it be viewed as being something
> > handed from on high.  I'm curious to hear James Clark's view on this...
>
> Well, I absolutely agree that bottom-up work is required, either by the
> CG as a whole, or by its members individually, or by third parties --
> preferably all at once.  But given James's experience with RELAX NG
> (bottom-up) vs. XML Schema (top-down) adoption, I'd guess he'd be in
> favor of as much top-down push as we can get.  I certainly am, and I
> trust the XML Core WG not to make a botch of things (I've been a member
> since its founding in 1999).
>
> --
> John Cowan  cowan@ccil.org  http://ccil.org/~cowan
> In computer science, we stand on each other's feet.
>         --Brian K. Reid

For whatever it is worth, I am not in favor of a speedy top down push and
it doesn't have anything to do with botching anything or a distrust of
anyone - it has mostly to do with the fact that I think the bottom can move
quickly but the top should move cautiously :)  If it is decent, it should
be able to get some momentum, either way it feels like it should have some
room to breathe.

By the way, my curiosity to hear what James has to say isn't meant to
downplay anyone else's importance, contribution, experience or anything
alse - it's literally just that and nothing more:  My own curiosity.