RE: Proposed extension of data model

There is an interesting subtly here ... and a potentially dangerous back door:

" When the data model results from parsing a MicroXML document"

Fair enough, but consider the flip side.
Suppose the Data Model was the result of parsing something else like say JSON ...
Then all the rules about element and attribute names go away ? We could have  element
names like "A Name With Spaces" ?

Possibly very useful ...
But what do we do to serialize this data model ?
We now allow data models that can come from non uXML sources (fine) but represent data not defined in uXML .   So do we need a whole specification of how to transform the data model that doesnt conform to uXML restrictions back to one that does ?     Are Data Model API's allowed to produce information which is not compliant with uXML itself say names with spaces or colons ?  If then we need to define what extents the data model can differ ... (so upstream processors can handle them).   If not we need to define how API's should treat data models that contain non conformant uXML information.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the proposal here, but if I am understanding it correctly then I would object to such a change in the specs.   If you want a data model that doesnt corespond to the restrictions of uXML itself then define a different data model and call it something else - feel free to say its compatible with the uXML data model in some cases.

David Lee
Lead Engineer
MarkLogic Corporation
dlee@marklogic.com