Re: Processing instructions

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 13:01:02 +0300, George Cristian Bina
<george@oxygenxml.com> wrote:

>PIs will work with any document and the default
>processing will just ignore them.

We're also heavily involved with processing DITA
(and DocBook), and have found PIs essential as
containers for persistent information for which
the schema provides no support.

>At the DITA conference in North America there was a discussion to try to
>unify these change tracking/annotation PIs to be product independent
>because right now most of the tools provide similar PIs but with
>different names.

We've also been hoping to see some unification for
PIs, using element start-tag syntax with the addition
of the "?"s at start and end.  It would help if MicroXML
specified that syntax for PIs.  It is widely used in
DocBook and increasingly in DITA.

Unlike comments, which could appear only in the
serialization and not in the data model, I'd rather
see the PIs retained in the data model, and allowed
anywhere in the content, not just at the start.

  <jeremy@omsys.com>    http://mif2go.com/