Re: Starting point

On 07/24/2012 05:16 PM, Jeremy H. Griffith wrote:

> I like the idea of element syntax for comments,
> but that does lead to two further requirements:
>
> 1. Comment elements must be valid in all elements.
> 2. All elements must be valid in comment elements.
>
> The second presents a problem for one common use
> of comments.  If you have:
>
> <wrapper>Some introductory text:
> <data>The important content.</data>
> </wrapper>
>
> and want to remove the<wrapper>  temporarily:
>
> <comment>Edit this text:
> <wrapper>Some introductory text:
> </comment>
> <data>The important content.</data>
> <comment>
> </wrapper>
> </comment>

The XML comment syntax suffers from a similar but different problem.  If
you have:

<doc>
<head>
<!-- edited 2012 -->
</head>
</doc>

You can't remove the <head /> with a single comment.  But <comment> tags
can be nested.

The general idea that you can't just wrap comment elements around
anything and expect your document to be well-formed is a familiar one.
I personally would welcome the ability to nest comments over the ability
to excise a start tag.

-Mike