From: Uche Ogbuji [mailto:uche@ogbuji.net]
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012 9:40 AM
To: public-microxml@w3.org
Subject: Re: xml:* attributes

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:14 AM, James Clark <jjc@jclark.com<mailto:jjc@jclark.com>> wrote:
After giving this a lot of thought, my preference is for A (no colons
in attribute names anywhere).

The following considerations have influenced me.

a) I want to minimize the things in MicroXML that make sense only if
you know the historical context of MicroXML. If somebody who knows
nothing about XML reads the MicroXML spec, I want their reaction to
be: this is a pretty reasonable way to do document markup.  Wherever
possible I want to eliminate things that would appear strange to
somebody with no XML background. To put it another way, I want
MicroXML not just to be simpler than XML but less ugly (more beautiful
would be going too far).  In my view allowing an "xml:" prefix on
attributes increases the ugliness of the language.

Thanks for the careful tabulation of considered arguments.  In a strange way, this one above is the one I find most persuasive.  Probably that's what some of the opponents of A-prime have been getting at, but it helps to have that first sentence so clear, and I think it's strong enough that we should consider adding it as a goal.  Of course such a goal might have implications on other matters, such as PIs, and it certainly would help guard against having our data model ape any of the outlandish artefacts to be found in various XML data models.  Seems like a net win to me.

For my part I'll have to think a bit more before moving my +0 for option A to +1, but I wanted to acknowledge these strong arguments.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira        http://zepheira.com