Re: Names beginning with "xml"

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-08-17 at 00:55 +0700, James Clark wrote:
> > I meant to send this to the list, but by mistake sent it just to John.
> >
> > Is a MicroXML document that
> >
> > - invents its own xml:foo attribute or
> >
> > - uses an existing xml:* attribute (say xml:space) in a way that does
> > not conform to the relevant XML-family spec (eg it says
> > xml:space="funky")
> >
> > ok as far as MicroXML is concerned?
>
> I hope so.
>

> > If so that compatible with the fact that eg xml:space="funky" is an
> > error according to XML 1.0?
>
> This feels to me a bit like some of the XML constraints for
> compatibility with SGML... a note that xml:* element and attribute names
> are reserved, or should be used compatibly with XML, is sufficient

+1

> _unless_ you want all well-formed microxml to be well-formed XML (which
> does seem to follow from the use cases on the wiki), and in that case
> xml:space="collapse" or xml:mother have to be errors.

-1.  I think you raise the important issue of language in how we describe
it. It seems we should not try to formally state that all MicroXML
documents will be "well-formed" XML 1.0 documents.  I think James and John
already try to stick to the deliberately vague language of "compatibility"
for just that technical reason.  Good to have it brought into the clear for
all.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira        http://zepheira.com