RE: Names beginning with "xml"

From: Uche Ogbuji [mailto:uche@ogbuji.net]
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:37 PM
To: public-microxml@w3.org
Subject: Re: Names beginning with "xml"

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 10:30 AM, David Lee <David.Lee@marklogic.com<mailto:David.Lee@marklogic.com>> wrote:
if attributes xml:* is allowed but reserved.
What is the data model for the QName of say  xml:abc    (ignore for now "abc" is not yet defined ... I want to avoid pulling in the other specs).

Localname = "abc" ?
Localname = "xml:abc" ?

The latter, though I should mention that none of the 4 options, A, B, C or A-prime, would have the concept of a local name. It's just a name, so:

name := "xml:abc"

To get close to achieving the new goal of some reasonable attempt at a data model compatibility, we need to define the relationship between uXML Names and XML(+NS) QNames
The simpliest in my mind is to ban colons and make  uXML Name == XML+NS  QName.Localname

Why is it so important to complicate the spec to allow xml:  in attributes if we assign no semantics to it ?
I know some "want to" "allow" "someone" to use say "use"  xml:id ... whatever that means if there is no semantics defined for it ,
but is this enough to complicate the spec for some future maybe want ?

David Lee
Lead Engineer
MarkLogic Corporation
dlee@marklogic.com
Phone: +1 650-287-2531
Cell:  +1 812-630-7622
www.marklogic.com<http://www.marklogic.com/>

This e-mail and any accompanying attachments are confidential. The information is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this e-mail communication by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by returning this message to the sender and delete all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.