Re: Names beginning with "xml"

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 10:30 AM, David Lee <David.Lee@marklogic.com> wrote:

> if attributes xml:* is allowed but reserved.
> What is the data model for the QName of say  xml:abc    (ignore for now
> "abc" is not yet defined ... I want to avoid pulling in the other specs).
>
> Localname = "abc" ?
> Localname = "xml:abc" ?

The latter, though I should mention that none of the 4 options, A, B, C or
A-prime, would have the concept of a local name. It's just a name, so:

name := "xml:abc"

If the later we break XML1.0+NS compatibility in the data model.

No. We just don't support XML 1.0 NS in the core data model. Someone else
could layer that on top if they liked (with the only possible value of
prefix "xml" and for namespace the corresponding URI) but I have no idea
why anyone would do that, and it would be their resulting headache.

But I don't see how that counts as an incompatibility.

> I am all for making it a syntax error to have colons in names AND using
> xmlns as an attribute name.
> That way ALL uXML documents can be parsed with an XML1.0+NS parser and we
> have a chance of a reasonable compatible data model.

ALL ìXML documents *can* be parsed with an XML1.0+NS parser if the only
place where we allow colons is in xml:* attributes. The data model will not
match the expanded name model of XMLNS either way, but I also don't see any
incompatibility either way.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira        http://zepheira.com