Re: xml:* attributes

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 7:17 AM, David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> wrote:

> On 16/08/2012 14:00, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
>
>> The xml:id spec already covers this, a
>>

> I don't believe it covers it for micro-xml.
>
> If xml:id is allowed and reserved but the micro-xml data model has no
> means of recording ID (or other) types then the micro-xml parser can not
> record those types so an xml:id processor as envisaged by the xml has
> nothing to hook on. Even the get-out clause in the xml id spec
>

>> For applications that operate on data models defined in other ways,
>> the mechanisms are implementation dependent:
>>
>> The xml:id processor may report the results of ID type assignment in
>> some other way.
>>

> is somewhat compromised by the following line
>
>  The key requirement is that the application be made aware of the
>> results of ID type assignment.
>>

> If the micro-xml data model has no way to record ID status.

No, but we have said the ìXML data model should be extensible by higher
layers, and I see no reason why an ID-aware layer couldn't take the
low-level ìXML data model and augment with IDs for the application.

In fact, I would say the xml:id spec enshrines this approach right in the
intro:

"This specification provides such a mechanism: it describes the semantics
of xml:id attributes. *This specification has been designed to be a
separate layer in processing and to be compatible with existing validation
technologies*. Implementors are encouraged to support xml:id processing and
to make ID type assignment the default behavior of their processors."

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira        http://zepheira.com