Re: Subset Data Model

On 13/08/2012 22:12, John Cowan wrote:

>> what would not be good at all would be if that syntax made an
>> element or text or some other incompatible thing at the data model
>> level.
>
> That would be absurd.

Not at all. xquery for example uses the syntax <!-- --> for something
that isn't a comment. Why should it be absurd for micro-xml to do so if
the spec doesn't specify that is not the case? If micro-xml spec goes
out of its way to stress that it only has syntax compatibility with xml
then a micro-xml system could report <!-- --> as an element and <zzz/>
as text. Do you really want that to be conforming?

(I may agree with you that it is absurd, but that doesn't mean that the
spec should not specify it)

>> If you push for compatibility at the level of syntax only you get
>> things like html parsing of <foo/> which is accepted syntax but it
>> is a start tag not an empty tag. I fail to see why that is useful
>> (in general, or in html)
>
> Because people who know too much XML got in the habit of writing
> legitimized it.

Yes but html could have legitimised it by saying /> meant empty
(probably with a few security/legacy restrictions such as <script>)
rather than saying that the / is ignored and <sss/> parses as <sss> always.

David