Re: Subset Data Model

On 13 August 2012 16:37, David Lee <David.Lee@marklogic.com> wrote:

> At a worse case, a user receiving a document needs to know what the document format is in order to get the intended meaning from it.
> I would think at a bare minimum a processor (and human) should have a way of distinguishing an XML and uXML document so they are not confused which data model is encoded and hence which tools can be used to extract the intended data representation.   How is this intended to be conveyed ?

I question if that is necessary? That's more the 'contract' between
sender and recipient?
If I send you SGML and you are expecting XML we have screwed up... me
by breaking
the contract, you by using the wrong tools?

I do think the spec or some associated document needs more explanation
or scoping information
in this area.
  To what extent is XML compatibility expected? Syntax only?
  Are there any boundaries to that expectation?

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.