[public-memoria] <none>

From: Steve Crocker <steve@shinkuro.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 06:15:56 -0400
To: public-memoria@w3.org
> See http://w3.org.
>
> In Memoriam: Alan Kotok (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Kotok)
>
> 2006-06-01: Alan Kotok, W3C Associate Chair, MIT site manager and
> head of the W3C Systems Team, passed away last week in Cambridge,
> Massachusetts, USA. He was 64. Before his many contributions to
> W3C, Alan held senior engineering positions at DEC in storage,
> telecommunications and software. A member of the MIT Tech Model
> Railroad Club, he helped to build the legendary computer game
> Spacewar,
> and the gaming joystick. He appears in the Origins of Computer
> Chess and in
> Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution. We are grateful to have
> worked with Alan and will miss his great kindness, humor, intellect
> and dedication. Remembrances may be sent to the public-
> memoria@w3.org public mailing list.

I am saddened to hear Alan Kotok has passed away.  I met Alan at the
MIT AI lab in 1967 where he was a frequent visitor.  In addition to
the several contributions cited in the W3C news, I believe he was
also a designer of the PDP-6 (and hence PDP-10) instruction set,
which was a pinnacle of elegance in word-oriented architecture.  He
was also an avid bridge player, and his initials, AK, were amusingly
appropriate.  His close relationship with the AI Lab helped maintain
a strong bridge between Digital Equipment Corporation and the fount
of intellectual vibrancy at MIT.  It was always a pleasure to see
Alan.  He will be missed.

Steve