Re: Media Fragments - Video fragment temporal loop

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 11:22:18 +0100
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Philip Jšgenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
CC: Media Fragment <public-media-fragment@w3.org>, Leeroy <soupress@gmail.com>, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>
Dear Silvia,

> IMO in this instance, we should not be surprising the web developer
> with unexpected behaviour. A loop attribute on a video element with a
> media fragment can fairly be expected to loop over the fragment (in a
> best effort) and not kill the looping behaviour. The whole Web is
> about best effort, so I don't see how the potential for gaps in the
> loop should be allowed to create such an unexpected behaviour. With
> that argument, we should be disallowing videos on the Web, since it
> can never be guaranteed that video plays back without pausing for
> buffering.
>
> Raphael, Leeroy: if you are keen, do you want to register a bug in
> WHATWG to get this discussion going for the HTML spec?
> (I am a bit swamped, but will be happy to contribute when I can).

Yes, I think it is worth to continue this discussion with the wider
WHATWG community and I would like to thank you all for the arguments you
put in this thread. I'm in a plane now but I will register a new bug as
soon as I'm touching ground.
Cheers.

EURECOM, Campus SophiaTech
Multimedia Communications Department
450 route des Chappes, 06410 Biot, France.