Re: minutes of 2011-05-11 teleconference

On 27/05/2011 11:43, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hmm... I wonder if the server knows how to map the chapter to time and
> how to map time to byte ranges, why would it not immediately go from
> chapter to byte ranges?

Good question. I think we have the following two possibilities:

1) Redirect to a temporal fragment
GET /video.ogv HTTP/1.1
Range: chapter=chapter1
=>
HTTP/1.1 307 Temporary Redirect
Location: http://www.example.com/video.ogv#t=10,20

2) Serve bytes
GET /video.ogv HTTP/1.1
Range: chapter=chapter1
=>
HTTP/1.1 206 Partial Content

You are right that, for the first case, the server needs to know the
mapping between chapters and time ranges; while in the second case it is
sufficient to have a mapping between chapters and byte ranges.

I think that we should recommend the second case, but nothing prevents a
server from following the first case.

Best regards,

Davy

--
Davy Van Deursen

Ghent University - IBBT
Department of Electronics and Information Systems - Multimedia Lab