Re: Temporal media fragment for HTML media questions

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Chris Double <cdouble@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com> wrote:
>>> 1) When a temporal fragment is given with a start time, when the
>>> loadedmetadata event on the resource is raised this is the currentTime
>>> of the resource.
>>
>> Do you mean that you internally seek when reaching HAVE_METADATA? That's
>> what I did, but care must be taken to not show the first frame of the video
>> before seeking. Also, should seeking events be fired at this point?
>
> I internally seek after I've read the metadata from the resource, then
> raise HAVE_METADATA when the seek is complete. I don't fire the
> seeking events. Would it be better to do HAVE_METADATA, then seek and
> raise the usual seeking events?
>
>>> 2) When an end time is given I do the equivalent of calling 'pause()'
>>> on the media element. I do not raise the 'ended' event.
>>
>> Is paused set to true, or is the element "paused for user interaction"? I
>> think the latter actually makes sense, but when I implemented MF as a quick
>> hack for FOMS I just called pause().
>
> It behaves exactly as if the 'pause()' method was called on the media
> element, so 'paused' is set to true. I think this makes it easier for
> controls to stay in sync with what's happening.

I wonder if it would be better to behave like "cropping" during the
load and as long as no user interactions happen. Thus, fire
metadataloaded when the offset time is reached and fire ended when the
end time is reached. Do you think that would cause problems?

Silvia.