Re: Concerns about backwards compatibility of media fragments

On 5/7/11 4:43 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> I tried your example in Firefox and I didn't seem to do anything - it
> definitely didn't make the image a 1x1. So, I wonder what makes you
> think that browsers do something with the fragment.

I'm not sure what exactly you tried or in which Firefox version...  If
you take the SVGs snippet I sent and load it as an SVG file, it shows a
100px by 100px green rectangle, in at least Firefox 4, Opera 11, Chrome
11, Safari 5.

>> Yes, but one that is incompatible with existing UAs, unfortunately.
>
> Can you show how? I wasn't able to reproduce any incompatibility.

What exactly did you do to test?

> I certainly can confirm that
> http://example.com/svg_ex.svg#svgView(viewBox(0,20,10,10)) doesn't do
> anything in Firefox.

Does it do anything in any other UA?

> Would that not just mean that this feature has not been implemented in
> browsers yet?

Well... a number of SVG 1.1 features are not only not implemented yet
but are planned to be removed.  It's worth checking with the SVG working
group about the status if svgView().  I'm not familiar with the details
there.

> That browsers for SVG simply ignore fragments

They don't ignore fragments; if they did none of the SVG out there would
work.  But as far as I can tell they simply don't enforce the "must be
an XML Name" syntax restriction from SVG 1.1.

>> That's easy to say, but that doesn't mean that there is no such content and
>> that UAs will be willing to break it if it's present.
>
> Where have you seen such content?

I haven't.  I also haven't seen any clear evidence that there isn't any.
  It's something that needs to be looked into.

-Boris