Re: Video cropping demo

From: Thomas Steiner <tomac@google.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 15:15:44 +0100
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Cc: Media Fragment <public-media-fragment@w3.org>
Hi again,

> I don't understand the connection. If it can be done in CSS, then it's
> a display mechanism. The URL linking mechanism is a very different use
> case, in particular for sharing and embedding etc. I don't really see
> why the availability of one should have any influence on the other.
> Can you explain?
Basically all that I'm saying (and that I think you're saying) is: all
spatial fragmentations (be it clipping ==? cropping, highlighting,
even rotating) can be done purely client-side, however, always
requesting the untouched (spatially-speaking) resource from the
server. I guess we agree on that.

Now my question is: are we envisioning servers to handle delivery of
spatial fragments of video/image resources? Say, on a split-screen
resource (think C64, like
http://img.youtube.com/vi/WZDoPEmo0KU/0.jpg), the delivery of a video
of just the player 2's view (i.e. the server would somehow
live-re-encode the video before it is delivered)? Clearer now, or did
I cause even more confusion? Sorry in either case.

Cheers,
Tom

--
Thomas Steiner, Research Scientist, Google Inc.