Re: Video cropping demo

From: Thomas Steiner <tomac@google.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 14:51:35 +0100
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Cc: Media Fragment <public-media-fragment@w3.org>
Hi Silvia,

> Note that none of this actually applies cropping - the cropping is a
> natural effect of scaling and rotating in CSS.
Sure. Same goes for my region highlighting demo:
http://tomayac.com/mediafragments/ (check it in Safari, Chrome will
display the DIVs below the video).

> I don't really see it
> being relevant to us other than to indicate that all of the spatial
> fragmentation that somebody may be after can already be done in CSS
> and does not need URIs.
Yepp, I think this was part of Ian's point, too. The thing maybe is:
if it /can/ be done in CSS (which also applies to spatial fragments of
images), isn't part of the WG's vision to encourage to enable it
server-side (for the cropping part)? Real question, not rhetoric
question. Quoting from the spec draft introduction "It is expected
that over time [...] Web servers [...] will be extended to adhere to
the full specification".

Thanks,
Tom

--
Thomas Steiner, Research Scientist, Google Inc.