Re: Precision of #xywh=percent:...

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 02:54:24 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, it hadn't occurred to me that we may need fractions of
> percentages. I think we should allow that.
>
> Another use case may be: a video recording of a concert from the
> distance with a camera that won't zoom any further and you know you
> can focus in on a specific cropped region.

In this situation, why not just use the #xywh=pixel:x,y,w,h grammar? This
is more straight-forward if there is only one resolution of the video. If
you have multiple resolutions of the video, then you can do the cropping
while encoding those multiple versions and save bandwidth at the same time.

This line of argument actually works against my 16:9 cropping as well --
if there is only one version then you don't need percentages, but if there
are several then you can do cropping while encoding.

> There are further use cases at
> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/WD-media-fragments-reqs/,
> e.g.
> 4.1.4 Scenario 4: Image Region of video over time

MF doesn't allow for changing the highlighted/cropped region over time.
Even so, it's not something you need the percent syntax for.

I'm going to play the devil's advocate and suggest that we drop the
percent syntax completely.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer