Re: Expressing complex regions with media fragments - use cases + possible solution

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:26:25 +0200
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
CC: Bernhard Haslhofer <bernhard.haslhofer@univie.ac.at>, Davy Van Deursen <davy.vandeursen@ugent.be>, Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>, public-media-fragment@w3.org, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>, Simon Rainer <Rainer.Simon@ait.ac.at>
Hi Silvia,

> I actually don't see that as a problem, because they have different
> goals: one is presentational the other is referential. I don't think you
> would share the URLs that you are using for the annotations in a single
> URL, since they actually require the annotations and everything to be
> delivered with them to mean anything, so a link to the full resource
> that has everything it in makes a lot more sense IMHO.

Playing the devil advocate, I think I disagree. I see a lot of value in
sharing such URI that reference a part of a media in the context of an
annotation. You said such URI require the annotations, but I would
object that a web server could decide to do content negotiation on this
resource and either serve the image (that could have a region
cropped/highlighted in the browser) or directly the annotation. Whether
using content negotiation for such a setting is a good idea or not is
another debate. But in my case, this URI would have the purpose to
either highlight a part of a media (presentational) or serve the
annotations that concert this part.

> Why not just reference a SVG directly as the mask description - that's
> much better than a MF URL. After all, it's not about delivering
> fragments for your use case, but about delivering annotations on the
> full resource, IIUC.

Q: SVG mask would work for the temporal dimension?
The annotations are about a part of the media, there is not necessary a
reason for serving them when requesting the full resource.