Re: Expressing complex regions with media fragments - use cases + possible solution

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <raphael.troncy@cwi.nl>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 14:35:39 +0200
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
CC: Davy Van Deursen <davy.vandeursen@ugent.be>, Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>, Bernhard Haslhofer <bernhard.haslhofer@univie.ac.at>, public-media-fragment@w3.org, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>, Simon Rainer <Rainer.Simon@ait.ac.at>
Hi Silvia,

> I'd go as far as saying that if it is possible to write the
> specification of the region highlight in a document rather than in a url
> as Bernhard has done in his examples, there isn't a need for reference
> URLs and the svg-fragment example is perfectly fine. Just use SVG filters:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" ?>
> <r:RDF xmlns:r="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
>        xmlns:a="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/annotation-ns#"
>        xmlns:d="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
> <r:Description>
> <a:annotates r:resource="http://serv1.example.com/some/page.html"/>
> <x:svg-fragment rdf:parseType="Literal">
> <svg:defs xmlns:svg="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
> <svg:filter id="c1">
> <svg:symbol id="Polygon" xmlns:svg="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
> <svg:polygon fill="none" points="52,203 0,124 186,0 238,80 52,203 "
> stroke="rgb(255,0,0)" stroke-width="0"
> xmlns:svg="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"/>
> </svg:symbol>
> </svg:filter>
> </svg:defs>
> <svg:img height="270px" width="480px" "http://example.com/image1.jpg"
> filter="url(#c1)"/>
> </x:svg-fragment>
> </r:Description>
> </r:RDF>
>
> You can define the mask in that same file (as done above) or in a
> different file, so you will basically get what you want for free with
> the @filter and relative url there.

Sure, this will work. But if I have 10 annotations to the same fragment,
I need to redefine it every time. This is all the purpose of referring
to it :-)