Re: Expressing complex regions with media fragments - use cases + possible solution

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 22:31:23 +1000
To: Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>
Cc: Bernhard Haslhofer <bernhard.haslhofer@univie.ac.at>, public-media-fragment@w3.org, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>, Simon Rainer <Rainer.Simon@ait.ac.at>
On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl> wrote:

> On 8 sep 2010, at 02:51, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> > I have, however, a pretty big caveat with standardising this approach:
> right now we are discussing with the browser vendors on how to present
> spatial media fragment URIs. There is a preference to use them for splicing
> pictures, i.e. for rendering only the referenced image or video region.
> >
> > I do not believe that matches your intentions here. IIUC your intentions
> here are to only have a means to provide annotations to regions. I think
> this is more of a "image map" type approach than an "image splicing"
> approach - correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> We've got to be careful here: browser vendors tend to think that the whole
> world revolves around the browser:-) A media fragment is basically nothing
> more than a specification of a portion of a video (audio, image) resource,
> and even though we give guidelines on how to present such a fragment in the
> browser that doesn't mean it's the only application of media fragments. I
> would assume that the Media Annotation folks couldn't care less about
> presentation: they just want to be able to point at something inside the
> video.

Except: everyone wants to see their results in the browser. So, if the
browser vendors agree to present a spatial media fragment URI as an image
slice, then you can do as many annotations as you want with such a URI, it
will never be presented as an image with highlights by the Web browser. So,
as long as we are talking about a presentation in a Web browser, we are
actually talking about the same application doing the same thing with the
same URI.