media fragment URI use on web pages

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 11:13:07 +1100
To: Media Fragment <public-media-fragment@w3.org>
Hi guys,

I've been wondering about how we can use media fragment URIs on Web
page URLs such that the fragment is handed through to the correct
media element. Existing schemes - such as YouTube's scheme of e.g.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhMoxXilwro#t=186 only work with a
single video on a page.

It might be an idea to suggest something like:
http://example.com/page.html#video[0]&t=10,20

Then it's possible to provide a URL with media fragments for multiple
videos on a page:
http://example.com/page.html#video[0]&t=10,20&video[1]&t=30,40 etc.

or for all videos on the page:
http://example.com/page.html#videos&t=10,20

It would be nice if something like this (or nicer - improved
suggestions welcome) becomes a scheme that everyone uses and that
therefore the browsers can support.

It's a scheme on a Web page (.html) rather than on a media resource
(.ogv / .webm / .mp4) and as such not really something that this group
was chartered for. But I believe we could add a note that recommends
such use and would be a Web author recommendation, and that the HTML
WG could eventually pick up as a browser recommendation.

Thoughts?