Re: Media Fragments in Opera

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 21:10:55 +1100
To: Chris Double <cdouble@mozilla.com>
Cc: public-media-fragment@w3.org
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Chris Double <cdouble@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:25 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com> wrote:
>>
>> Having read that thread, it seems to me that SMPTE should be treated as
>> labels, not as something to be converted into a timecode. In other words, if
>> the resource doesn't contain these SMPTE labels, then one can't use the
>> format. I'd be happy with the spec saying as much and simply not supporting
>> the syntax, as neither Ogg nor WebM can embed SMPTE timecodes.
>
> I'm inclined to agree.

Interesting approach. That's certainly a valid way to approach it.

Or we can be pragmatic and say that if you yourself know that your
video has a certain framerate then you can pick the correct SMPTE
timecode and you can address frame-accurately with that timecode. Any
other SMPTE timecode will not give you more accuracy than a normal npt
time.

I'm myself critical about a need for such frame-accurate URI
addressing, but that email thread proves there are people that think
it's required.

I do believe we can safely ignore it for now in implementations and
wait to see the need. In all the years of doing Annodex, nobody every
needed it.