Re: media fragment URI use on web pages

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 10:31:20 +0100, Raphaël Troncy
<raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr> wrote:

>> http://example.com/video.webm#t=60 in the address bar ought to work if
>> video.webm is actually a video file, but the question was about web
>> pages, i.e. HTML.
>
> You don't know what you have GET is an HTML page before receiving the
> answer from the server. What I'm saying is you should not get the
> resource mime type from the URL.

Of course. For both HTML and video we won't do anything at all until we
know what it is, i.e. after the first request. For example, we can't send
additional HTTP headers based on the presence of #t=1 on the first
request, unless put into the URL/URI/IRI spec itself, which I doubt will
happen.

>> According to the spec (and implementations) index.html#t=1 will scroll
>> to the element with id="t=1", making #t=1 means something else or
>> something in addition to that isn't going to fly.
>
> No, this is not true! index.html#t=1 will scroll to the element with
> id="t=1" iff index.html is an HTML document. It will certainly now if
> page.html is a video.

Again, the issue Silvia brought up was specifically if we could use MF on
web pages, i.e. with HTML. http://example.com/video.webm#t=1 should just
work, whether in <video src> or in the address bar.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer