Re: media fragment URI use on web pages

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 10:25:02 +0100
To: Raphaël Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>
Cc: public-media-fragment@w3.org
On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 10:13:50 +0100, Raphaël Troncy
<raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr> wrote:

> Hi Philip,
>
>> While this would be very useful, it's not something that can be
>> standardized in browsers. The URL page.html#t=1 already causes browsers
>> to scroll to the element with id="t=1".
>
> When the browser issues a GET request on page.html, the browser does not
> know which representation of this resource it will receive, and
> therefore cannot be prepared to "scroll". If the representation received
> is of html nature, then yes, it should scroll. If page.html is a video,
> you could imagine that the browser starts playing from the t=...

http://example.com/video.webm#t=60 in the address bar ought to work if
video.webm is actually a video file, but the question was about web pages,
i.e. HTML.

>> Overloading this behavior would
>> most likely break some pages. See
>> <http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/history.html#scroll-to-fragid>
>
> I really don't see what will be broken.

According to the spec (and implementations) index.html#t=1 will scroll to
the element with id="t=1", making #t=1 means something else or something
in addition to that isn't going to fly.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer