Re: Test Cases: moving forward

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 23:49:22 +1000
To: RaphaŽl Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>
Cc: Media Fragment <public-media-fragment@w3.org>
2010/5/25 RaphaŽl Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>:
>> Actually, a modern legacy browser (current Opera, Firefox, Chrome,
>> Safari) will send byte range requests for Web media resources and will
>> thus receive a 206 anyway. ;-)
>
> My Chrome browser does not send a byte range request for:
> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/media/fragf2f.mp4#t=12,21 and it
> receives a 200 OK response.
>
> My Firefox browser (with the Media Fragment plugin enabled) does the right
> thing :-)

My Firefox browser without your plugin still receives both 200 OK and
206 Partial Content replies. Thanks for proving that it is up to the
browser and that browsers differ. :-)

>> We canot just check on the HTTP status codes whether a browser
>> supports media fragments.
>
> I agree. But this is one important piece we should not ignore neither.

No, I never said that. It is important to get a success reply which
means it has done something successful with the request - but what
exactly it has done cannot be deduced from the status code.