Re: Fwd: [whatwg] Built-in image sprite support in HTML5

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <raphael.troncy@cwi.nl>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 14:05:11 +0200
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Hi Silvia,

> FYI: there is a discussion about image sprites happening on the WHATWG
> mailing list and I've just had the following feedback on using #xywh
> for highlighting an image region rather than focusing in on it.
> We might want to change it or better explain our reasons for display choices.

Thanks for passing this on. The current WD says very little about the
display of a spatial Media Fragment. I quote:

"For a spatial URI fragment, it is recommended to emphasize the spatial
region during playback. For instance, the spatial region could be
indicated by means of a bounding box or the background (i.e., all the
pixels that are not contained within the region) could be blurred or

Therefore, the highlighting is *just* an example. We can decide to stay
very fuzzy on this or on the contrary recommend some display. My
personal preference would be to make this bounding box accessible for a
CSS that could decide what kind of visual effect it wants to apply on
this region. We can discuss this during tomorrow's telecon.