Re: Google launches open WebM web video format based on VP8

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <raphael.troncy@cwi.nl>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 12:10:46 +0200
To: erik mannens <erik.mannens@ugent.be>
CC: 'Media Fragment' <public-media-fragment@w3.org>
Dear all,

> Fyi Ö
> http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/19/google-launches-open-webm-web-video-format-based-on-vp8/

Indeed, it was for me one of the highlight of yesterday's Google IO
keynote. I was excited by the news, given the support it receives:
Mozilla, Opera, Google + Adobe (Flash), therefore IE and Safari. But
then, I read this blog post: "The first in-depth technical analysis of
VP8", http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/?p=377 which I recommend to read ...

The author wrote: "VP8 would be 'H.264 Baseline Profile with a better
entropy coder', better than theora ... but the main problem of patent
will still be here given the resemblance with H264."

I would be happy to get the opinion of Davy who has more deep knowledge
of how codecs work ...