W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-media-fragment@w3.org > May 2010

Minutes of 2010-05-12 teleconference

From: Davy Van Deursen <davy.vandeursen@ugent.be>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 12:22:35 +0200
To: "'Media Fragment'" <public-media-fragment@w3.org>
Message-ID: <00d701caf1bd$0a94fe50$1fbefaf0$@vandeursen@ugent.be>
Dear all,

 

the minutes of today’s telecom are at
<http://www.w3.org/2010/05/12-mediafrag-minutes.html>
http://www.w3.org/2010/05/12-mediafrag-minutes.html and in text format
below.

 

Best regards,

 

Davy

 

------------ 

 

   [1]W3C

 

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

 

             Media Fragments Working Group Teleconference

 

12 May 2010

 

   [2]Agenda

 

      [2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-fragment/2010May/0020.html

 

   See also: [3]IRC log

 

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2010/05/12-mediafrag-irc

 

Attendees

 

   Present

          Erik, Davy, Raphael, Silvia

 

   Regrets

          Michael

 

   Chair

          Erik, Raphael

 

   Scribe

          Davy

 

Contents

 

     * [4]Topics

         1. [5]1. Admin

         2. [6]2. Use Cases and Requirements

         3. [7]3. Specification

         4. [8]4. AOB?

     * [9]Summary of Action Items

     _________________________________________________________

 

   <trackbot> Date: 12 May 2010

 

1. Admin

 

   <raphael> Scribe: Davy

 

   <scribe> scribenick: davy

 

   Raphael: no full attendance at teleconf :-(

 

   <raphael> Previous telecon:

   [10]http://www.w3.org/2010/04/14-mediafrag-minutes.html

 

     [10] http://www.w3.org/2010/04/14-mediafrag-minutes.html

 

   Raphael: if people do not like the decisions we take at the

   teleconfs, they should discuss this on the mailing list

 

   <raphael> ...

   [11]http://www.w3.org/2010/04/28-mediafrag-minutes.html

 

     [11] http://www.w3.org/2010/04/28-mediafrag-minutes.html

 

   <raphael> ...

   [12]http://www.w3.org/2010/05/05-mediafrag-minutes.html

 

     [12] http://www.w3.org/2010/05/05-mediafrag-minutes.html

 

   <silvia> +1

 

   +1

 

   <erik> +1

 

   <raphael> +1 for accepting these minutes

 

   RESOLUTION: minutes accepted

 

   <raphael> ACTION-92 ?

 

   <trackbot> ACTION-92 -- Erik Mannens to erik and Raphael to

   coordinate the writing of papers -- due 2010-04-28 -- OPEN

 

   <trackbot>

   [13]http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/tracker/actions/92

 

     [13] http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/tracker/actions/92

 

   raphael: some parts of the paper might be a good starting point for

   uncomplete sections in the spec

 

   close action-92

 

   <trackbot> ACTION-92 Erik and Raphael to coordinate the writing of

   papers closed

 

   raphael: next F2F meeting decision -> postpone it to next week

 

   erik: even if we are just with 4 or 5 people and other people on the

   phone, we should have a meeting

 

   RESOLUTION: next F2F meeting will be organized at 15-16 June in

   Eurecom

 

   <scribe> ACTION: troncy to provide practical information for the

   next F2F [recorded in

   [14]http://www.w3.org/2010/05/12-mediafrag-minutes.html#action01]

 

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-162 - Provide practical information for

   the next F2F [on RaphaŽl Troncy - due 2010-05-19].

 

2. Use Cases and Requirements

 

   <raphael> ACTION-156?

 

   <trackbot> ACTION-156 -- Conrad Parker to add a "bandwidth

   conservation use case" -- due 2010-03-16 -- OPEN

 

   <trackbot>

   [15]http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/tracker/actions/156

 

     [15] http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/tracker/actions/156

 

   <raphael> Conrad, could you update us on this ?

 

   <silvia> conrad, are you still there?

 

3. Specification

 

   discussing the editorship policy of the specification

 

   <raphael> Raphael: curently 2 groups (editors and contributors)

   while these roles are not really defined by W3C, not consistently

   used depending on the spec

 

   <raphael> ... Suggest that Silvia and Davy jump to the editors

   group, they have edited most of the spec

 

   <raphael> ... Suggest to talk with other contributors on the phone

   regarding their role in the spec (for example, Yves contributed a

   lot of text some months ago)

 

   <raphael> ... I will apply the changes on the spec

 

   <raphael> ACTION-161?

 

   <trackbot> ACTION-161 -- Silvia Pfeiffer to integrate the test cases

   into the spec -- due 2010-04-21 -- OPEN

 

   <trackbot>

   [16]http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/tracker/actions/161

 

     [16] http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/tracker/actions/161

 

   Silvia: waiting for a few issues that are still issues

   ... 1. #t=a,a and a >= 0 (#2)

   ... is an empty fragment

   ... if we send it to the server, we get a 416

   ... question is whether the client should send it to the server or

   not, since it can detect there will be an error

 

   raphael: empty fragment -> UA cannot display anything

 

   <raphael> Silvia: we need to have a consistent reaction of media

   fragment aware browsers

 

   <raphael> ... for legacy browsers, they will react as for HTML

 

   <raphael> Discussion about the empty fragment such as #t=a,a when

   a>=0

 

   <raphael> Silvia: the UA still sends a range request and should get

   back an error 416

 

   <raphael> Davy: but the UA knows it is a semantic error, why sending

   a request at all ?

 

   <raphael> Silvia: the UA could simply do nothing ... irritating, but

   this is happening with HTML

 

   <raphael> ... the fragment is not interpreted ?

 

   <raphael> ... we could just get the header data of the media file,

   but stop, not downloading any content !

 

   <raphael> ... for example, a Range Request with an empty fragment

   and only "include-setup"

 

   <raphael> ... the server sends the header data of the media resource

 

   <raphael> ... with a 206 Partial Content for the header data

 

   raphael: we could apply this solution for the three cases

 

   <raphael> Similar solution for all non-existent or illegal fragments

 

   <raphael> ... see cases detailed at

   [17]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-fragment/2010Ma

   y/0021.html

 

     [17]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-fragment/2010May/0021.html

 

   <scribe> ACTION: troncy to send a resolution on handling

   non-existing or illegal fragments to the mailinglist [recorded in

   [18]http://www.w3.org/2010/05/12-mediafrag-minutes.html#action02]

 

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-163 - Send a resolution on handling

   non-existing or illegal fragments to the mailinglist [on RaphaŽl

   Troncy - due 2010-05-19].

 

   close action-161

 

   <trackbot> ACTION-161 Integrate the test cases into the spec closed

 

   <raphael> ACTIOn-154 ?

 

   <trackbot> ACTION-154 -- Yves Lafon to add a section 5.2.4

   describing his new optimization -- due 2010-03-16 -- OPEN

 

   <trackbot>

   [19]http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/tracker/actions/154

 

     [19] http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/tracker/actions/154

 

   <raphael> Raphael: we have described this recipe in the paper and we

   have the figure

 

   <raphael> Raphael: I have a plugin for firefox, works with ninsuna

   with videos already ingested

 

   <raphael> ... will send the version to Davy and Silvia for testing

   now

 

   <raphael> ... + a readme :-)

 

   <raphael> Davy: work on making Ninsuna acting as a proxy

 

   <raphael> Raphael: add a parameter in the proxy to specify a proxy

   ... so get media fragments URI on any MP4 videos on the web

 

   <raphael> RESOLUTION: re-allocate ACTION-154 to Davy

 

   <raphael> ACTION-123?

 

   <trackbot> ACTION-123 -- Yves Lafon to come up with ABNF for header

   syntax -- due 2009-12-09 -- OPEN

 

   <trackbot>

   [20]http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/tracker/actions/123

 

     [20] http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/tracker/actions/123

 

   Action-123?

 

   <trackbot> ACTION-123 -- Yves Lafon to come up with ABNF for header

   syntax -- due 2009-12-09 -- OPEN

 

   <trackbot>

   [21]http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/tracker/actions/123

 

     [21] http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/tracker/actions/123

 

   <raphael> RESOLUTION: re-allocate ACTION-123 to Silvia

 

   <raphael> Silvia: I think we should go to LC even if all the

   features are not resolved

 

   <raphael> ... in order to get more feedback

 

   <raphael> Raphael: agree, f2f meeting mid-June and then LC request

   end of June

 

4. AOB?

 

   [adjourned]

 

Summary of Action Items

 

   [NEW] ACTION: troncy to provide practical information for the next

   F2F [recorded in

   [22]http://www.w3.org/2010/05/12-mediafrag-minutes.html#action01]

   [NEW] ACTION: troncy to send a resolution on handling non-existing

   or illegal fragments to the mailinglist [recorded in

   [23]http://www.w3.org/2010/05/12-mediafrag-minutes.html#action02]

 

   [End of minutes]

     _________________________________________________________

 

 

    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [24]scribe.perl version 1.135

    ([25]CVS log)

    $Date: 2010/05/12 09:56:39 $

 

     [24] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

     [25] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

 
Received on Wednesday, 12 May 2010 10:23:06 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 21 September 2011 12:13:38 GMT